New to my Blog??

New to my Blog??

Click on the below links to read my previous stories..

Bus#126W       My Family and I       Games we play       All Roads Lead Home       As Good As It Gets       Whodunit?      

The Reunion       A Dog's World      My Sister's Daughter

Saturday, July 3, 2010

As Good As It Gets - 1 - The Disappointing Birthday

I lay on my bed, wide awake. The clock was just striking twelve. I stole a glance at my phone remembering the days when calls at twelve were mandatory on birthdays. I got out of bed feeling restless and stood in the balcony feeling the cool breeze on my skin. I shivered involuntarily.
There was a time someone would put his arms around m me to keep me warm. I turned around and went inside and looked at the figure on the other side of the bed. My husband. We had been married  for almost five years and now, it seemed the novelty of marriage had worn off.
I sat at the edge of the bed recalling my last birthdays. The first year it was a sudden impromptu weekend getaway, the next year it was a surprise party, the year after that, we had a quiet rushed dinner because I had an important meeting to prepare for and then last year, he was away on a business trip and I spent my birthday all by myself.
 We both worked very hard to sustain our lavish lifestyle and that didn’t leave us with much time for each other. We had managed for five years, but what had my life reduced to? Working and sleeping. I had tried to cut down on my work so that I could be home more often, but what was the point? He was never there.

I walked over to the mirror and stared at the reflection in the mirror. My hair was in a disarray, dark circles under my eyes, patches on my skin. I touched my face gently, chiding myself for not taking care of myself. Maybe that’s why he’s drawing away from me? I was toying with idea when my cell phone vibrated. In the silence of the night, the sound seemed magnified. I made my way to the side of the bed, careful not to disturb him.

I flipped my phone open. It was Anurag. Subconsciously,  I ran a hand through my hair to smoothen it.
 I glanced at my husband guiltily and then felt silly for feeling guilty, there was nothing to feel guilty if an attractive man texted me at midnight to wish me.
Hey gorgeous, Happy Birthday! Lets catch up if you are free sometime.” I smiled despite myself.  Anurag was my colleague in my previous company. We had kept in touch despite a change in job and city. Sure, we flirted harmlessly but we had never ventured to the darker side. I was happily married. Was I?
I didn’t reply. I didn’t need more complications.

I settled back into bed and leaned over. I placed a hand on my husband’s hair ruffling it ever so lightly. My eyes opened in surprise when he reached up and grabbed my hand and placed a kiss on my palm.
“Happy Birthday..” he murmured. I smiled and before I could say anything he turned over and went back to sleep.

I bit my lip and collapsed on my bed, wiping away an unshed tear. 
I thought about how we had met, seven years back.. About how, despite all odds we had fallen in love..

6 comments:

  1. :)That picture is taken from my balcony :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful :) Its sooo simple and well written... Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aditi... Is this pure fiction??

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ishma - What else will it be? Of course, some parts are inspired by real life situations, but i'll never tell which ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pitz...simply awesome! i loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the way you have penned it aditi!! :)

    ReplyDelete