New to my Blog??

New to my Blog??

Click on the below links to read my previous stories..

Bus#126W       My Family and I       Games we play       All Roads Lead Home       As Good As It Gets       Whodunit?      

The Reunion       A Dog's World      My Sister's Daughter

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Reunion - 2

 I held the invite in my hand with a puzzled expression on my face. This was the last thing I had expected. I walked into my room and rummaged around some drawers that I hadn’t opened in ages. Once upon a time, the contents of this treasure chest were my most prized possessions. I coughed a little as the dust, which had gathered on it was disturbed.
I called Anjali.
“Wow, unexpected huh?” I said, before she could say hello.
“You got it then? What do you think?” She giggled.
“What! I’m not going, no way!” I opened the box and poured its content on my carpeted floor.
“Why not!” Anjali questioned.
“Because,” I tried to think of a good enough reason, “I’m already in touch with people I want to be in touch with.”
“Oh really,” Anjali’s voice was laced with sarcasm, “Name one person.” Then after a moment’s pause, “Apart from me.”
I laughed, “Well, you should be flattered. You’re the only one I want to be in touch with. I don’t want to meet all these people. They won’t even remember me.”
“Oh, who cares! Anyway, I got to go now. Promise me, you’ll think about it.”  She cajoled.
“Bye Anjali.” I wasn’t going to promise her anything.
“Uff!! Okay bye..”
Before I could hang up, I heard her talk again, “At least check who all have registered. Maybe you’ll change your mind then?” She asked hopefully.
I thought about it for a moment, it seemed like a harmless request, “Okay, I’ll do that. Are you happy now?”
“Very.. I’ll see you around..” I rolled my eyes as I hung up. Anjali got excited about everything. This was no different.
She was the kind of person, everyone wanted to be around. Somehow, even in a crowd, she could make you feel special. So many times, she would invite me for parties with her other friends.
When I’d reach there, I’d see her in the middle of a big group, the centre of attention. I used to try slinking into the corner, but Anjali would never allow that. She always made a big fuss about my arrival, involved me in her discussion, just, made me feel accepted, even in a strange crowd.

My attention drifted to a stack of pictures scattered on the carpet. I started putting it back, when I saw found my class photos. I almost laughed out aloud when I saw myself in that picture.
What was that on my head, a hair band? It was  broad enough to cover my entire forehead. And Anjali? I spotted her quickly, she looked exactly like a boy with her short hair. I ran a glance over my other classmates, wondering, for a moment, how they’d all look now.
Then I shook my head, I couldn’t go to this reunion. I was far too busy. As I cleared up the mess I had made, I found something else. My face broke into a wide smile and I knew then, how I was going to spend the rest of my afternoon.
I had found my old diaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment